Responsive Ad Area

Uncategorized

A Trip to Bulgaria

A Trip to Bulgaria

Hello Travelers,

Do you like a challenge? Do you like to stay fit? Are you someone who wants to toy with social upheavals? Then visit Bulgaria for a skiing holiday.

Earlier this year, I decided that the sun was too much and I wanted an active holiday, and active in my book means, being stood up right for more than 15 minutes. Our journey like usual starts at the booking, unless you’re a wizard or Richard Branson. We booked a package with Crystal Ski, whose site and mobile app are so user friendly , it’s one update away from telling you when to pee and where Venus is in the sky. Seriously it does everything! However ski hire is hard to decipher what you need and costly with them, so maybe outsource if you was to stick to a budget, make sure you get the basics and lift pass with whoever you book with.

We are in Sofia and to our shock we end up in the furthest resort from the airport, if you pay a little bit more you stay in a nicer and closer resort (shocking). 4 hours to Perelik hotel in Pamporovo and I get the sinking feeling that it’s a “nicer in the pictures” vibe. The reception clerk was like the riddler and guessing where the room was our goal as he wasn’t going to tell us and we end up in a lift fresh from the sex scene of The Stud movie.

Pamporovo itself has all the conveniences you will require, with bars, ski & gift shops, it terms of a gay village there’s little here, so put a pink umbrella in your G&T when you hit the hotel bar, that’s close enough.

I’ll say this now, I’m not sure because of my gorgeous face or my dark complexion and the fact we’re in a remote part of the country. But I managed to stop several inaudible conversations, get kids pointing with vigour and a fat lady drops her cutlery and stops eating her dinner. Again FAT LADY STOPS EATING in my appearance, I’m practically Usher!! Speaking of the buffet, the buffet food at the hotel is “limited”, like 8 main options all the time limited
In terms of getting around, thankfully with most hotels/ lodges off the main piste, there’s free transfer buses and taxis. You’ll eventually come to the towering ski runs & slopes are various in terms of quality, skill level and length, most of the slopes are interconnected so prepare for things to get dicey/ insanely easy if you make the wrong turn. The scenery from slopes is lovely, white, sun kissed snow, dense forests and inviting cafes provide a warm welcoming and variety of cuisines (goodbye hotel food).

There’s a small rustic Irish bar in the middle of the slopes I would recommend, not very Irish with the Bulgarian Geppetto at the helm but cosy log fire, hot chocolate and tasty pizza.
Bulgaria, it’s an experience, just ski and enjoy.